Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Ghost's Kitchen: Chicken Fajita Quesadillas

What's cooking today?
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas

Hello everyone and welcome to another segment of...

As I mentioned back in June, I absolutely adore Mexican food and when looking for new recipes and ideas I like to toy around with Mexican dishes.  I used to have a quesadilla maker and would make kind of the "bare minimum" quesadillas I could make.  You know the kind, just shred some canned chicken and toss it and some cheese in a tortilla and call it a day.  While that does certainly work, it's not exactly the most appetizing thing in the world and I wanted to find a way to make a really good quesadilla.

Now if you know me well enough you also know that I love crossovers.  I'm still loving that Scooby Doo and KISS movie I reviewed with Dylan last year.  Sometimes bringing two things together to make a single product can be awesome... then it suddenly hit me.  Another Mexican dish I love is fajitas.  Perhaps if i combine the two it would make for something amazing.   Oh boy did it ever make something amazing!  I'm going to share with you what I did so you too can create this greatness.

Gather Your Ingredients
  • 2 thawed chicken breasts
  • 1 package of 10 tortillas
  • 1/2 medium sized onion
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • fajita seasoning
  • water (look on the back of the fajita seasoning mixture for quantity)
  • 1 package shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 package monterrey jack cheese (optional)
  • cutting board
  • knife
  • skillet
  • turner/spatula
  • baking sheet
  • cooking spray
  • chips and dip (optional side)

1. Dice your vegetables
You will want to take your 1/2 onion and both peppers and dice them into small pieces.  Remember to not use the stem or seed portion of your peppers.  Set this aside for later.

2. Prepare your Chicken
As always remove any large fatty pieces or anything unsavory from your chicken breasts

3. Dice Chicken
I know dicing raw chicken can be a big difficult/annoying.  Just make the pieces as small as possible.

4. Spray skillet and fully cook chicken
Make sure your chicken is completely cooked.

5. Chop Chicken
If some of your pieces of chicken are still a bit big (they probably will be) use the end of your turner/spatula to chop up your chicken into smaller pieces.  This will be simple since it's cooked now.

6. Add Diced Vegetables

7. Add Fajita Seasoning

8. Add Water
The back of your fajita seasoning packet will say how much water is needed for that brand.

9. Mix and Cook
You will want to continue cooking until the vegetables are tender.  This should only take around 3-5 minutes.

10. Preheat oven to 350°F

11. Place tortillas on baking sheet
Depending on the size of your baking sheet you may be able to get 4 or 6 of them on at a time.  I used a smaller sheet so I was only able to do four at a time

12. Fill 1/2 of tortilla with chicken
Take your chicken and vegetable mixture and place a fair mount on one side of each tortilla

13. Top with Cheese
Place however much cheese you want.  I find it better to have a mixture of cheddar and monterrey jack.

14. Press Close
Close the tortilla on itself and add a small amount of pressure.  You want to make sure the Tortilla stays closed

15. Bake for 5 minutes

16. Serve with Chips and Salsa and Enjoy!
Feel free to cut them in half if you want a nicer presentation.

That's all there is to it.  Just a few vegetables, some seasoning, and using the oven have made a world of difference in taste and quality.  Thanks to this recipe my quesadillas have gone from ghetto nasty food you only eat cause there's nothing else in the house, to an item that is being eagerly requested for me to make!  I hope you all enjoy it just as much as we have!

This is Ghost fading into the darkness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you want to see my other food topics and recipes then simply click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment